Sunday, June 26, 2016

Rawabi: A City of Dreams for Hopeful Palestinians



Fadi Salameh and his wife, Suheir, were buzzing with excitement.

The young Palestinian couple were about to see their new, and almost finished, apartment for the first time. It was late 2014, and the opening phase of Rawabi, the first planned city in the Palestinian Territories, and the West Bank’s biggest private investment – estimated at $1.2-billion (U.S.) – was nearing completion on a hilltop nine kilometres north of Ramallah, the effective Palestinian capital.

“When we opened the door, I couldn’t believe my eyes – this was going to be my house,” Ms. Salameh says. “I recited the Koran immediately: May God bless this house and bring us all the good things and keep away all the bad things. Then I started to clean, because our furniture was coming the next day.”



More

No comments:

Post a Comment